Your back is filled with many big and small muscles. Lats or latissimus dorsi is one of them. Lats are a huge chunk of muscles that gives you the most desired V-tapered look and width in your back. The bigger the lats, the wider you look. They create the stability in the upper back while providing the path for the shoulder and arms to work in unison. Lats workout at home is pretty possible, just you may need to invest in a pair of dumbbells.
Muscles in general have their origin and insertion points between bones. This is how it extends and contracts. Lats in general originates from the lower 6 vertebrate and inserts into the upper arm bone, just below the shoulder joint. This wide origin but small insertion point gives the lat somewhat triangular shape. It is pretty distinctively visible muscle in your back and one of the key pose involves flaring them in competitions.
Lats primary function is extend, adduct, rotate arms, and draw shoulder inferiorly. In simple words, its function is to pull the elbow close to the body, pull the arm down and back. Drawing your shoulders means you can fully extend you arms up above your body, without folding your arms.
The lats workout at home that you can perform will revolve around the function of the lats. Training the muscle in the same way it naturally performs is best for the growth and health. given below are few of the lats workout that you can perform at home without a problem.
Pull ups are by far the simplest exercise to perform, yet tough one to master. Your lats are in perfect position to pull you up to the bar. The very first thing you will need to do is learn to pull with your lats, rather than biceps.
- Position yourself below the bar.
- Pic your grip (pull up or chin up).
- Now begin pulling yourself up by retracting your shoulder blades back.
- Hold the contraction at top and return down in controlled way.
It might be harder to perform as a beginner, but eventually you will learn your way up.
You might as well like: Back Workout Routine
Bent over rows
This is another useful exercise with tons of variation. You can literally change the muscle targeting with a slight change in movement. You can perform this with a barbell or dumbbells as well. At home, you can perform this exercise with a dumbbell and perform single arm version.
- Bend at your knees and hip keeping your upper body straight and almost parallel to ground.
- For single arm dumbbell row, hold a dumbbell in one hand and take support with other.
- Pull the dumbbell straight up squeezing your back to target upper lats.
- Similarly pull the dumbbell to your hips to target your overall lats.
- Perform slow controlled reps to put more stress on your muscles.
This might sound complicated, but it is fairly simple exercise.
Pullovers are great exercise to target both your lats and chest at the same time. It stretches you lats while opening your ribcage muscles. You can perform it with chest or back, only thing that differs is range of motion.
- Lay flat on a flat bench with dumbbell between your palms.
- Keeping your shoulder blade squeezed, and arms straight, lower the dumbbell back behind your head.
- The lower you go, the greater is the stretch in your lats.
- Bring the dumbbell up just above the forehead until you feel stretch on the lats.
- Repeat the movement but in controlled way.
This awesome exercise will help you build the lat in easiest way. This will also help you strengthen your core and chest muscles.
These might just look three simple exercise to perform, but the pull up alone is enough to build your lats. Perform these exercises at home to get the best possible results from lats workout at home. For a casual being looking to look good will definitely be impressed with the results they can get out of these simple exercise.