Coffee is around our lifestyle for very long now. Many of us are a morning coffee person while some of enjoy coffee every now and then. With the role of caffeine as pre-workout or in fat loss, it is very popular among bodybuilders as well. But recently, there is trend for bulletproof coffee for weight loss. Basically, bulletproof coffee is the replacement for a meal typically breakfast for the people with fat loss goal.
What is bulletproof coffee for weight loss?
Bulletproof coffee is a drink consisting of freshly brewed coffee, grass-fed unsalted butter and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. These three components makeup a perfectly smooth and delicious cup of coffee. The coffee has a creaminess and smooth texture to it. It is famous among the people with low-carb and high fat diet.
As a main staple of bulletproof diet by Dave Asprey, bulletproof coffee is a meal replacement. It provides you enough energy to last through second meal of the day. It triggers fat loss through ketosis through low carb diet.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
Let us now check out the recipe for the bulletproof coffee or also known as butter coffee for weight loss.
- 2 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee
That’s it for the ingredients. It is fairly simple ingredients. If you don’t know what MCT oil is then, it is derived from coconut oil. If you cannot find MCT oil, then just use unrefined coconut oil in moderation.
- Freshly brew a cup of coffee with the ground coffee beans. You can use the coffee machine if you have or just do it manually. Use filtered water and filter paper to brew the coffee.
- Add MCT oil in the coffee. Add 1-2 tablespoons or MCT oil in the coffee. Mix it well.
- Add butter or ghee. Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or ghee in the coffee. Make the addition as per your taste. If it your first time, be sure to start small.
- Blend it well. The last step would be to blend the coffee well. You will get a rich and smooth foamy texture to the coffee. It smells great and tastes awesome.
Here you have it, a perfect cup of bulletproof coffee.
Additives to the coffee:
You can add on some extra benefiting ingredients to your cup of bulletproof coffee for weight loss.
- Turmeric: It is famous yellow powder rich with anti-oxidants. It takes away the natural flavor of the coffee, but its worth it.
- Chocolate powder: While consuming chocolate is goo for your health in so many ways, adding it to your drink will enhance the taste and its health benefits.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is very popular for benefits in weight loss and sugar and insulin regulation. It provides natural sweetness to the coffee as well.
- Vanilla extract: If you are in search of some more flavor, vanilla extract can be your healthy alternative. It not only adds flavor, but also enhances the antioxidant features.
Also Read: Weight Loss Plateau
Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
If you are in some sort of carb restricted diet then, bulletproof coffee can be your choice of breakfast. The coffee will get you energized in the morning and the butter and MCT oil will give you the sensation of fullness for long.
- Improves mood and boosts testosterone
- Increases energy with the benefits of caffeine and high quality fat
- Triggers and promotes fat loss
- Improves brain power with quick-acting Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT)
- Improves strength and lean mass with testosterone boosting healthy fats
Things to Remember for First Timer
The recipe might be same, but the way you prepare might be different. Don’t ever worry if you cannot get the same taste all the time. Here are some points you might want to remember while preparing the bulletproof coffee for first time.
- Be sure to use high grade ground coffee. A different grade might just have opposite effect for you.
- Use only grass-fed butter. Due to the difference in fat composition of non-grassfed butter, it might not mix up well. So use grass-fed butter.
- MCT oil is must. Don’t forget to add that. It boosts your metabolism and turns you into fat burning machine and also sharpens your brain.
- Go Slow. You might want to go slow with the addition of bulletproof coffee in your diet. It is high in fat and you might want to use digestive support in the beginning.
- No Sugar. If your craving for sugar is really high, you might just add cinnamon. You can also switch for the natural sweeteners like stevia. But processed sugar is not an option.