Who doesn’t want a best looking biceps? In fact, the first thing when someone asks you if you workout, you show them your biceps. This comes out of natural instinct that bigger arms means stronger person. While it doesn’t hold true all the time, it is what in general thought. Here in the post, there are few best bicep exercises that you can include in your bicep workouts.
Knowing Biceps Anatomy
Bicep, as the name suggests, is a muscle group with two different muscle. It is made up of biceps brachii and brachialis. Brachii has 2 heads, long head and short head. It is also called two headed muscle. All together, there are 3 muscles in the biceps.
Biceps brachii extends from shoulder joint in the upper arm to the elbow joint. In general, the longer head or the outer head gives peak to the bicep, while the shorter head or inner head gives width to the biceps.
Biceps brachialis, the golf ball shaped muscle, is sometimes also considered as the part of forearms as it extends from the elbow on the side of arms. It lies between biceps long head and triceps lateral head.
Also See: Cable Machine Exercises
Function of Biceps
It extends between shoulder and elbow joint. Some of the major function of biceps are as follows:
- Forearm Flexion: Lifting of the palm from hanging position or bending of elbow. Let your palms hang below your body. Whenever you try to bring your palms upward, your biceps contract and bring the palm upward.
- Supination: If you let your palm hang freely, it will face behind you. To make your palm face forward, the biceps brachii contracts and performs the twisting of the palm.
- Shoulder flexion: Bringing the arms forward and upward is shoulder flexion.
- Bringing the arm across the body. Though it is the delt movement, biceps are the supporting muscles.
- Stabilization of shoulder. The short head of the biceps stabilizes your shoulder while carrying anything.
Good Bicep Workouts
A workout can be termed as good if it targets all the muscles. As it has 3 muscles, the best bicep exercises will target all those muscles. Here is a sample bicep workouts that you can perform to target your muscle efficiently.
Dumbbell Curl: 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Dumbbell is better version for the curl all because you can increase your contraction. Do a little twisting of wrist bringing pinky finger above your thumb. This will enhance and increase the contraction in your biceps increasing the blood flow.
Spider curl: 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Spider curls are one of the best bicep exercises to perform. It targets the short head of the bicep and makes it pop.
- Start off by hanging from an incline bench.
- Grab a barbell or even dumbbell shoulder width apart.
- Do the curl keeping your upper arm stable.
- Inhale while curling up and exhale on the way down.
Hammer Curl: 3 sets, 8-10 reps
It targets the brachialis and long head of the biceps. The forearm too is involved in this movement making it very favorable and crucial exercise to perform. You can perform this variation with dumbbell, rope attachment or even trap bar. Implement a slight pause at the top of the movement and let the biceps burn.
Concentration curl: 3 sets, 10-12 reps
With dumbbell or single handle on the cable, this exercise is the best. Your bicep peak pops with this exercise. There are many variation to this, the simple one is with dumbbell and bench.
- Sit on the edge of the bench with knees bent and elbow resting against your thighs.
- Grab a dumbbell with your hand, palm facing forward.
- Curl the dumbbell all the way up without swinging moment.
- At the top, twist your wrist bringing pinky finger above thumb to increase contraction.
Variation for bicep workouts
There are many variations that you can perform these exercises in. The use of dumbbell instead of barbell, EZ-bar use is easy on your wrist. Cable can be used to perform almost all of these exercises.
Increase the time under tension by decreasing the tempo of your workout. 2 sec positive and 3 sec negative will increase the tension in your muscle. Play around with all of these bicep exercises to have better pump and tension in the muscle.
Wrapping up Best Bicep Exercises
While you might have tons of other exercises to perform and might even target the muscles better, the functional movement is best to implement in the exercise. Performing the exercise the similar way muscles naturally perform are best to target with higher chances of growth. These are my best bicep exercises or even a complete bicep workouts that I like to perform ever once a while.